Chemical Reaction Hazards and Thermally Unstable Substances: A Strategic Guide to Reaction Hazard Assessment
The consequences of runaway exothermic chemical reactions can be devastating. Catastrophes at Bhopal and Seveso are stark reminders that all chemical processes require a thorough and rigorous assessment procedure to ensure that large scale manufacture can proceed without residual risk or threat of disaster.
This guide outlines a cost-effective mechanism for assessing hazards present in the inherent exothermic reaction and uncontrolled gas evolution potential of chemical processes. We cover:
- The PreVent methodology for reaction hazards testing
- Route selection, process development, and optimization
- Assessment of explosive properties, gas generation, and thermal stability
- Approaches for pilot, small-scale, and full-scale facilities
- Overview and description of available test procedures